Sunday, February 6, 2011

Arcade

I wanted the old men who ran the arcade to be heartwarming gentlemen. I wanted them to be ambassadors of another, better time. I waited for them to greet me gracefully in the morning, to tip their hats and nod their heads to me in the evening, to follow these actions with an elegantly deferential word, a salute to the old-world duty of gallant man to eminent woman. In three years of coexisting in that arcade, three years of hopefully entering and exiting that building, expectant smile on, head ready to nod warmly in response to a sweet phrase, a charming word, a kind smile, I never received so much as a glance from the old men who ran the arcade.

1 comment:

Christian_Callaghan said...

This poem gave me an ache in my heart for the lost chance those old men had to affirm a young woman's hopes of gallantry and gentlemanly validation.